Also remember to give your floors a break when moving furniture.
Slide tube socks over the legs of chairs and tables or a square of carpet under heavy furniture to protect your floors from getting scratched.
A good rule to follow: never slide, always lift and set.
Below you will find the best tips to clean your floor type.
- apply a wax within 48 hours of installation and then every 6 months after
- to wax, apply wax directly to floor and then spread thin with sponge mop
- open windows and allow to air dry to a nice shine
- for everyday cleaning, wet-mopping seems to remove most dirt effeciently
- if your floors are waxed, reapply wax once or twice a year and buff to revive shine
- do not mop waxed floors because the liquid could cause damage, be careful to wipe spills as soon as they hit the floor
- if your wood floor has a polyurethane finish, clean with a damp mop using a combination of one quarter water and one-quarter cup vinegar
- personal tip: I like to use the Bona floor care system for my floors
- BONUS TIP: to repair scratches in your hard wood floors, grab a walnut and rub over scratch (their natural oils will help hide the flaws)
- first step is to apply an all-purpose sealer with sponge mop (follow package directions)
- wax about once a year with paste wax
- for everyday cleaning: use a damp mop with mild soap, rinse with clean water