I have never thought to use my Slow Cooker for baking.
That is, until now.
I found this recipe from Martha and I just had to try it for two reasons.
One, I hate using the oven in the summer.
What you need:
-1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
-1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
-3/4 teaspoon baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
-1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
-8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
-1 cup sugar
-3 large eggs, beaten
-1 cup walnuts, chopped
-1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
How to do it:
1) Lightly coat your slow-cooker insert with cooking spray. Take your insert and set it on the parchment paper. Cut around it and then line the bottom of insert and lightly coat with spray.
3) Place chopped butter and chocolate in a
medium (sorry Martha, I am pretty sure you meant LARGE) microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30-second increments. Stir after each, until chocolate is all melted and gooey.
5) Then add flour mixture, walnuts, and chocolate chips and stir until just moistened. Be careful not to over mix cause apparently that is bad.
7) Cover and cook on low, 3 1/2 hours. Uncover and cook for 30 more minutes. Remove the insert from the slow cooker and run a knife around the edge to loosen the brownies.
9) Then it’s time to place them on a cutting board and cut into
2 (one for me and one for you?) 14 brownies.
Just a little side note: I only cooked mine for two hours. My slow cooker seems to run hot. So keep on eye on it and adjust your time according to your slow cooker.
These brownies are super yummy, the perfect summer treat.
Heck, an anytime of the year treat! 🙂
So have you ever baked in the slow cooker?
How did it turn out?