Slow Cooker Sunday: Slow-Cooked Chicken
I think this recipe is a winner! I was going to use the leftovers for chicken soup tomorrow, but there isn’t anything left!!! Super simple and super yummy! You got to give it a try! 🙂
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 6 hours
1 whole chicken, 3 1/2 to 4 pounds
cracked white pepper
1/2 cup diced onion
1/4 cup diced carrot
1/4 cup diced celery
3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
3 sprigs fresh thyme
1 lemon, juiced
4 teaspoons cornstarch
1) Rinse the chicken both inside and out under cool running water. Pat dry.
2) Season the chicken liberally both inside and out with salt and pepper. Place in a slow cooker. Scatter the onions, carrots, celery, garlic cloves, thyme and lemon juice over the top of the chicken. Cover the slow cooker and set the temperature to high. Cook for 6 hours, undisturbed.
3) Remove the chicken from the slow cooker, and pour the accumulated juices into a 2-cup heatproof container. Skim the fat from the top and transfer the liquid to a small sauce pan.
4) Dissolve the cornstarch in a small bowl with 2 teaspoons of water and whisk to form a slurry. Whisk the slurry into the juices and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until thickened, season with salt and pepper, and continue to cook additional 4 to 5 minutes.
5) Cut the chicken into pieces and serve, with the thickened pan juices ladled over the top. Enjoy!
I served our chicken with a side of rice topped with the gravy and buttery green beans! Great meal!
Please Note: I think 6 hours on high may be to long. I cooked my chicken on high for 3 1/2 hours then returned to low for another hour. Turned out perfect. A little suggestion, maybe cook on high for 2 hours then adjust to low for 4 hours. Or if you will not be home to adjust temperature, maybe try 6 hours on low.
Thanks, Emeril, for this great recipe!
This sounds delicious. I love to use my crock pot. Now I have a new recipe to try out.
I’m following via the Monday blog hop.
Visit when you get the chance.
That sounds super easy! I love recipes that I can throw together and then forget about for a few hours! Linking up from the Not So Moody Monday blog hop and I’m your newest follower! Have a great night!
Angela @ First Come Baby…
Visiting from the Make Your Rank Lower Monday Alexa blog hop!
I found your blog through the Give It To Me Monday hop. I’ve been looking through your posts, and I’ve decided I simply must follow you! 🙂 It seems you blog about some of my favorite things – food/recipes (my husband thanks you in advance!), deals and steals, and I’ve also spotted some creative things down below (the shelves look great!).
I look forward to keeping up with your blog! 🙂 If you want, you can come check mine out at http://gumdroppass.blogspot.com
Have a great week! 🙂